Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fragile X Carrier-just puttin' this out there

I like to tell people that Fragile X Carriers are just normal people. Well, I don't know what normal is. All I know is that I am lucky to have Jeremy because he loves me no matter what. I don't think he knew what was coming when I told him almost four years ago that I was a carrier.

There is good and bad about his fact. Many people have genetic issues and issues of all kinds. Knowing that I am a carrier provides me with knowledge and, therefore, power. I know what kinds of things I can expect. With my sister leading the way and we being similar, I know even more. BUT, this also means that I have to admit that there are issues with being a carrier.

There is a study being done that those with FXS who have seizures have mothers that have thyroid problems. Well, I don't know if those things have been seizures, but I still want to have Isaac tested. For this and other reason I got my thyroid tested and I am hypo thyroid. Luckily it isn't too bad BUT I do have to take something to stabilize things. Hopefully this will help me feel better. Ya know, less angry, depressed, anxious, blah blah.

I deal with a lot of anxiety but I have been able to overcome a lot over the years before I realized this. That is another can of worms, or beans, or whatever you wanna call it. But hopefully no one will judge me or think of me different. I'm still me just like Isaac is still my son:)

There are many other related things that I have no idea about. I'm just taking things one day at a time and, like Isaac, I don't want Fragile X to define me. I still have power over my body. I still pray for help to overcome weaknesses, I still feel the Lord helping me overcome things, etc. etc. There is a balance in all things.

By the way, yesterday was Fragile X Awareness Day! Ha, at least for everyone else. Every day is Fragile X Awareness Day around here;)


No comments:

Post a Comment