Tuesday, June 27, 2017

All for a piece of cheese and a Pediasure

The other day Isaac came to me and showed me he wanted a Pediasure. I put one in his sippy cup, put in on the counter, and went outside to finish a project.

When a came in a few minutes later he was having a meltdown on the floor.

I couldn't figure out what had brought this on. I quickly carried him to his room-his safe place- to calm down. Luckily, I was still calm at that moment. I went into his room, even though he hadn't totally calmed down, and talked to him.

I asked  him what he wanted, giving him options. He said something that sounded like cheese and I said, "You want some cheese?" He stopped crying and whispered his repeated "Yeah, yeah." I walked to the kitchen and got him some cheese. I took it to his room and sat on his bed blown away that all he had wanted was a piece of cheese. It hit me how frustrating it is for him not to be able to speak or be independent in such things.

When I went back to the kitchen I saw the Pediasure still sitting on the counter.

He thought I hadn't got it for him.

He thought I didn't understand, or that I was ignoring his request.

That was the reason for the melt down.

I brought him his Pediasure, trying to explain I had gotten it for him and set it on the counter. He gratefully took the sippy cup and downed it. He was totally fine after that.
Poor guy. I would be frustrated, too if no one understood me.

No comments:

Post a Comment