Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pizza Party

Rachael, Joslin, Amelia, Isaac, and I went to our first official Utah National Fragile X event since finding out that Isaac has FXS. I have been to several before this just for support keeping in mind that this may one day be me. Well, that day has come.

I was so happy that my brother Aaron came with his wife, Chelsea and their daughter Kaiyah. Now I understand better the importance of supporting family members in such things. Aaron is not a carrier or anything, but he just came to support. That means a lot.

Jeremy did not come to this one, but next time he will be there. Marc, Brighton, and Avery went to the ward swimming party because that was what they had in mind and that is where they were going:) (Rachael's family).

I had a great time. Millie played on the slide most of the time. I like that she doesn't care or even know that she is surrounded by children with special needs. I'd like to think that will stay the same, but I know it won't. However, I hope we raise her to love Isaac and others like him.

The pizza was good, but the conversations were definitely better. I had the opportunity of being of help to another carrier. I was surprised. I am always comfortable in the shadow of my sister when it comes to everything Fragile X. However, she doesn't know what it is like to know that you are a carrier before you get married. I was able to give assurance to a woman that may have daughters that are carriers.

I told her about Jeremy.

I will never forget the day that I told Jeremy that I was a carrier of Fragile X Syndrome and that I most likely would not be able to give him the eight children he told me he wanted (chuckle). It wasn't just on a whim either. This is something I knew about since I was 16 and always wondered when and how to tell that certain person from that time forward.

When the day did come, however, I was amazed at Jeremy's response and I have never felt such love and acceptance. It was amazing.

I told the woman that any man that would leave for this reason wasn't worth the effort anyway. (maybe that sounds too harsh:)

Jeremy and I work things out as we go through the challenges.

Some people may think we are crazy for having kids, knowing that I am a carrier of such a syndrome. But this is our life. And I love both of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment