Tuesday, June 11, 2013

We went on a trip to Ferron last week. I know, Ferron. Yup, you read it correctly. In the middle of no where desert. It is surprisingly fun to go there. But that's not really what this post is about. Nope. It's about Isaac-of course. That is why I have this blog.
While we were in Ferron we saw many of Jeremy's family members, including Reef, his cousin's four month old boy. When we got back from the trip I had a conversation with Jeremy that went something to the effect of this:

Jeremy: Did you see Josh's little boy?
Me: Yes...
Jeremy: He is like four months old...(pause)...he can do a lot.
Me: Yes...
Jeremy: Isaac is behind, isn't he?
Me: Yes.  He is behind.

My heart went out to my husband at this point. On this trip he spent more time with the kids than he has in a long time between school and work. He was able to not only interact with Isaac and Amelia but see other children react, too.

Later Jeremy was thinking again.
Jeremy: When did Amelia start to do her scoot to get around?
Me: About 8 months (Isaac is like 7 1/2)
Jeremy: Isaac isn't even close
Me: Yeah. She was also saying dadda at that point, too.

As I was telling our Early Head Start helper about this I began to cry unexpectedly. I couldn't help it. It is so hard finally reaching that point. The point where you begin to see delays. The point where he is no longer on track but where you are struggling with him to keep up. Then it is just trying to get him to do whatever he possibly can do.

He is still doing very well. Everyone I work with in therapy and KOTM (Kids on the Move) tells me so. We are proud of what he is doing. I just have to remember that I cannot compare. Besides, it is like comparing oranges to apples. They are just to very different things. Neither of them is bad, just different.

That reminds me of a story I came upon in my Fragile X newsletter I get.Welcome To Holland. I really like that story. Short, simple, to the point. The truth is no one understands what it is like unless you've been there-to "Holland." But I am so happy for all the support I have. I have SO many people. It's wonderful. Because I have tough days.

So, Isaac is showing some points of delays, but he is still doing well and I am still doing well, too. One
   step
      at
        a
          time

No comments:

Post a Comment