Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Changed Perspective

I remember in high school some of my close friends worked with the special needs kids in the school. I always respected them a lot for that but knew I couldn't do it. I always felt uncomfortable around those with special needs. It was always awkward for me.

Maybe that's why Heavenly Father sent one of those special spirits to me.

Now I can learn first hand how they are to be treated.

I'm not saying I'm smooth, cool, and confident around others that are different, but I do understand.

If there is every a child with autism, down syndrome, etc. that approaches me or that is around me I make it a point to not be afraid, to be understanding, and to talk to them like everyone else.

Now I understand that with each interaction there is a parent who is happy inside. Just like I will be happy if my son has friends, is accepted, etc. Just like I will be happy if a high school team lets him be on the football team, if a close friend takes him along for a triathlon, etc. (Not saying I can't be happy now:)

You hear lots of those miracle stories and now I my hope for the future is something similar.

All I know is that there is no person that is greater than another. We are not greater over children, people with special needs, others with more obvious sin-we are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father.

Everyone with special needs-they are there. They are in there. There is a wonderful spirit in them. 

What a valiant spirit that would choose to forego all the wonderful things to enjoy in this life to remind us that the point of life is not to see all the 7 wonders of the world in travel, to climb the social or business ladders, but simply to gain a body, to live, to love.

As we come upon Easter and the celebration of the glorious resurrection of Christ and his love for us, I cannot separate the wonderful thought of my little Isaac, of all with special needs and disabilities (which in one way or another includes all of us) will be perfect in mind and body. I can't wait to meet him, my cousin, my nephew, my nieces all as their full selves, stripped away from the imperfection. An imperfection here that is only making me more perfect for the life to come.

Because of Him we will be made whole. My little Isaac.

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I admire your courage (and I recognize that some days courage is just getting out of bed and keeping the children alive and fed all day). As you know, my brother has cerebral palsy and I will eventually be his full-time caregiver. I would get so angry at other kids when they were mean or refused to include him. Now I try to educate and include and appreciate him for the amazing person he is. You are doing great, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome blog! I am so glad that you are sharing. I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete