Friday, April 11, 2014

Knock, knock!

As you know, we have been focusing on Isaac's communication, both receptive and output. He hasn't really said many legit words. I wonder sometimes if he knows that "Mama" is me or "Dada" is Daddy.
I haven't had much success with sign language or the speech button. I just don't think he understands why these things connect with what he wants.
The next thing I want to try are PECS. These are pictures he will use to tell me what he wants. I will also do this for routines.

SO...the big news is....drum roll please....

As we were playing yesterday, he was banking on the kids table with his fists, as he often does, and I randomly said "knock-knock!" and knocked on the table, too. He looked at me and thought about it and then I said it again. All of a sudden he said it! Okay, so it wasn't KNOCK KNOCK. It was more like Dot dot. But we did it over and over and I know he understood. I liked to watch him think about it and try to do the "n" sound.

The best part was later after we did it several times at the door. He was riding on the rocking horse, knocked on its head and said, "dot dot." I clapped and said "Yay!" Then he turned to the wall and knocked and said, "dot dot." (or however he says it:) I am so proud!!!!!!!!!!

Big break through. Things like this give me HOPE!!!

Who knew knock knock would do it?

We are also working on walking on uneven ground, up hills, and down slopes. It's going well! He is also attempting stairs whenever he can, especially when it means he can go to nursery, which he went to all by himself the whole time with a few breaks last Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment