Monday, June 2, 2014

Alike or Different

Each child is different and special in their own way. That's why it is weird when you suddenly realize that because your child has FXS he is actually a lot like a ton of others. Not that Isaac isn't individual, don't get me wrong; but there are things he does that are a part of him I love. Yet, I see other kids with FXS and think, "Oh my goodness! It's like I'm watching Isaac!" Now I know what my sister means when she says Isaac reminds her of her son. At first I just told her I don't see any resemblance. Now I understand.

The first time I really noticed this was while I was watching a video a mom posted of her little boy with FXS. He was doing all the hand flapping, absent minded walking, and so forth that Isaac does. It was weird! You would think I would know to expect this, but it is still weird. I imagine those who have children with down syndrome feel similar because they also have similar physical characteristics. It just fakes me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment