Monday, June 2, 2014

Hope and Doctrine

My classes at BYU are different because we are able to combine religion and secular knowledge. That is why I feel that my major in human development/family studies here is so great. I never thought I would go to BYU, but tah dah!
Sometimes disabilities/special needs gets brought up for various reasons.

To make a long story short this is what I have to say to my professor:

DON'T. YOU. DARE TAKE AWAY MY HOPE.

It may have come across to me differently than everyone else, seeing that I am the only one in the class with a child with FXS BUT I knew it was coming so I braced myself. Anyway...

There is too much that we do not know about life before and life after. We know what we need to know, not all we want to know. Here are some questions I have about children with disabilities: (I'll do some more studying of course, but I'm venting...)

Were they predestined to be in the bodies that they are in?
Why did they receive these bodies? Since Jeremy and I are the ones that made Isaac's physical body, what does that say....
I always hear that those with special needs have a straight ticket to the Celestial Kingdom, but my question is how do we determine how severe the need is that this is so? Is there some magic line? I believe, regardless, all people should be reared and taught in the most optimal way.
Is it bad to have InVetro? Do I not have enough faith?
Was I silly to have my own children on "faith?"

I could go on. There are a lot of things I don't know and a lot of questions about special needs I may not ever know in this life.

However,
This is what I do know.

Isaac is my son. Amelia is my daughter. I love them equally. They bring such immense joy into my life and the lives of others. All I need to worry about right now is the basic principles of the gospel. I keep praying. I keep reading the scriptures. I keep enduring.

And ya know? Enduring isn't always that bad. In fact, sometimes I just thank God that this life isn't over yet because it is so wonderful. I feel at any moment it might just slip away, and then my heart is filled with gratitude all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment