Thursday, July 27, 2017

Our Decision, A Funny Story, and Blessings

Well, today as I was talking to Jeremy, everything seemed so simple. We are going to keep Roxy and we are moving forward with getting a service dog for Isaac. The trainers have not yet found one that they feel is right for Isaac, but I am looking forward to meeting this future dog (most likely a Labrador).  That's the course we have decided to take for now.

Here is why I'm feeling blessed today (well, at least some of the reasons):

           1) Roxy is doing so much better already! 
I was expecting weeks of the coughing and barf, runny nose, lethargy, and sad eyes. But as of today, she is doing so much better. She actually ran around a little, ate some plain rice, chewed on a stick, and played a bit. It was so sad seeing her so sick. I didn't know dogs could be that way. 



Just in case you've never seen a dog with a runny nose...

Night time cuddles

Millie helping Roxy feel better with a blankie

Eliza thinks Roxy is funny

           2) Roxy learned a lot in one week

So, as Roxy has been getting better I've noticed a few things. 
First, she is way more obedient than she used to be. 
perfect, mind you, but wow I never knew a week could do so much. 
Second, she actually did pick up on some of the service dog things. The sad thing is, she doesn't do it for Isaac-she does it for me, though! I think it is because Isaac has a hard time showing affection softly. She needs lots of cuddles, scratches, and pets. We've had some tender moments the past few days:) So far I've noticed she will kind of come on my lap or put her paw up when I say lap (that's from learning deep pressure/anxiety stuff) and interruption of self harm by licking. This is a video of me trying to reenact, but it's not very good when she was dead asleep when I woke her, but you get the picture. Also something you can't see is her putting her paw on my lap. And don't mind me lol.

                        ***Funny story here. I actually found out about the self harm interruption when I was getting really frustrated changing a nasty poopy bum on Isaac. It got on my fingers and I just started dry heaving (I know, you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but sometimes it just gets me). I was pretty frustrated, too, because Isaac was in his giggly moods, touching his poo, etc. Well, Roxy come up between us and looks at me. I thought she was just going to try and get his poopy diaper like she used to and she was being super annoying. I was about to tell her to go away when she just started licking my face like crazy. I'm thinking, okay love ya too but seriously? But it dawned on me-is this her trying to help?
                              So later I tried to pretend to hit myself, shake my head, and moan. She immediately came and started licking my face. I tried it a few more times to make sure it wasn't just in my head. Nope, it's legit! How cool is that! Although, I don't think I'll use it...unless I'm changing another one of Isaac's poopy diapers. Ha! Come to think of it, it did get me out of my angry funk. Way to go, Roxy!***

         3) I feel at peace
As I'm sure you noticed, my last post I was so not in a good place. And, maybe this sounds funny, but I really believe many people-many of you-have been praying for us and thinking about us. I feel it. I didn't realize it at first, but now I see it in how quickly Roxy is healing, how my husband and I were able to make a decision both of us are okay with, and not having overwhelming feelings sadness, embarrassment, or confusion
I mean, I guess I still am a little embarrassed about some things, and I don't fully understand all of this, but overall? A feeling of love and peace. Even over this silly dog thing! Even when there are way worse things going on everywhere. He cares for little ole me. I've also felt the love and friendship from my friends and readers.
Image result for president hinckley it all works out

I feel like Jeremy and I just beg for more craziness in our life, but I look forward to this next chapter.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! That's so cool! Don't even feel embarrassed, this is what life is all about, the learning. Even as adults we still make mistakes and are still learning each and every day. Each of us are different of course and we all have different trials, but God knows each and every one of us and what we need. Maybe Roxy was meant more for you? Who knows. As an animal lover its so crazy how they can cheer you up and completely change your day. Yes sometimes it can be frustrating especially if they chew on something or pooped, but especially with dogs, they just except you for who you are and love you endlessly. Sorry that was kind of long ☺ love ya cuz and keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you❤️ So far since she has come home we have had a special bond. She does help with my anxiety:) I think we needed two dogs to serve two different purposes. Love ya!

      Delete