Sunday, July 23, 2017

Seven Reasons Why I Have Children

I know there are many out there that wonder why I ever had children at all, knowing that I am a carrier of Fragile X Syndrome.

Well, there's lots of reasons. So, in no particular order, here you go:

1) I wanted to. 

And my husband agreed:) It's as simple as that. I would say that many, if not most, women have a natural desire in them to bare their own children.

2) I believe we have been commanded to "multiply and replenish the earth," as the Bible says. And I want to obey the commandments of God.


3) I can. 
There are many women unable to bare children of their own. This can be terribly heartbreaking. These women may feel broken. I empathize with them.

After my first two children, I felt that even though I could have more children I shouldn't because it could have Fragile X and it was just too hard, it might be a burden on society, etc.
I saw friends around me pregnant and felt that it should be me, but also felt it just couldn't be. I, too, felt broken and wondered if I should adopt or do InVetro, etc.
4) I honestly didn't know what I was getting into.
I had no idea how my life would change forever by having a child with special needs.

I've been around children with special needs throughout my life and yet it just didn't click. You just don't fully grasp and understand it until you live with it day to day and it's your responsibility. Now, having said that, even after having Isaac, who has FXS, we still chose to have another child naturally.

So...maybe some un-numbered reason is that I'm slightly crazy, but let's not go there;)


5) I had a hope.
I was in la la land and did not think it would ever happen to me. My first child was perfect as can be. So smart and a head of the game. She wasn't even a carrier. It was a miracle. So, I thought maybe we just wouldn't have any children with FXS and so we tried again.


6) I felt it was right.
I believe in personal revelation, in the gift of the Holy Ghost, and in a Heavenly Father who loves and cares about his children


7) I want to help God's children and bring up His Kingdom on Earth.
So many children are born to less than ideal situations, circumstances, or families. And although I know that I am far from perfect, I do know that I can offer these sweet spirits two things:

*The Gospel of Jesus Christ
* Unconditional love

Yes, it's true, I may not be able to afford to have each of my kids in three different extracurricular activities. My children aren't child prodigies in music, math, or art. But guess what? They know they are loved and they are growing up in a home that (I hope) has the spirit and the true teachings of Jesus Christ taught and lived each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment